Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Book Thief


Sidebar: Considering my numerous quote and book information searches, one would think that I would have no problem spelling the word T-H-I-E-F by now. It's hit-or-miss. The Book Thief itself is a wicked hit. Highly, highly, highly recommended.

My hope is that this novel will catch on with schools, and begin reading this along side Alicia: My Story and Anne Frank's A Diary of a Young Girl. I have to confess I've never read Anne Frank's Diary. (It just never came up in our school's curriculum). It was even discussed in John Green's The Fault In Our Stars, so I feel like I'm missing out on something there. Though Alicia and Anne's stories are memoirs, Markus Zusak's novel feels so authentic, it should not be passed up. It has love, pain, humor, tragedy... what more do you need?

I think this is a novel that's still making it's way through everyone's reading lists. The novel itself, (unless purchased... or stolen,) is nearly impossible to get your into your lap. I really wanted to read it, so I was cornered into the audio-version. If it weren't due back at the library, I would have just started all over for a second run - it's really that entertaining! So much so, that I've taken to calling family and close co-workers Saumensch (F)/Saukerl (M); an insult from German loosely translated to the word "pig". From the context of the novel it comes off as a term of endearment. 5/5 Stars and also thanks for the new swear words!

No comments:

Post a Comment