Sunday, November 11, 2012

Stop picking on Rowling


I was forewarned into going into The Casual Vacancy, that J.K. Rowling's novel was "uninspired" even though she's been quoted by stating that this is the novel she just had to get out. This novel is for fiction-fiction readers only. If you find yourself favoring Romance, Sci-Fi, Horror... really any other genre, don't waste your time.

I have to say that I really liked this book! Rowling is perfect for character development. Every person sculpted from this novel is both loved and hated at some point. What's funny is that the entire novel revolves around a deceased man, whom the reader is never meets outside of the first chapter.

If you expect to pick this from your library anytime soon, you're most likely going to have to wait a while. When I got my hands on The Casual Vacancy, there was an 8-month wait list. The audio book format had a much shorter hold list, so I listened to the cd's in my car. To my American ear, this did make the book feel whimsical and light-hearted at first, but I got over that by disk 3 or 4. The novel is dark, revolving around gossip, local politics, drug abuse, and some other shady topics. I only recommend this to readers who genuinely enjoy ordinary people, having ordinary fiction lives. 4/5 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment