Sunday, November 4, 2012

Speaking of funny....

I'm really fascinated with memoirs of comedians. Let's Pretend this Never Happened by the Bloggess herself, Jenny Lawson. I wasn't a fan of The Bloggess before reading her memoir, but I've been keeping up with her posts and Twitter feed since finishing her book.

I have to admit that it took me a while to really get into. The humor was feeling forced, but I rode through it. Jenny loosened up, and delivered an incredibly comical story of growing up with an eccentric father, obsession with taxidermy, living with a social anxiety disorder.... among other ailments. I was won-over by the chapter "Jenkins, you Motherfucker"... nearly wet my pants!

There are a couple heart-breaking chapters which truly humanizes the comedienne. I identify with her morbid sense of humor and thought-randomness. I've passed the book onto my mother, but I'm not so sure she'll be able to get past all the cursing. There is a lot of cursing, you Motherfuckers! 5/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment