Sunday, November 11, 2012

In which we go on a literary drug trip

To start, I would like to paraphrase the first chapter:

The Green Wind bursts into September's bedroom and says "would you like to go to Fairyland, little girl?!" To which September shrugs and says "Sure!" She jumps onto the Wind's Green Leopard and out the window they fly (minus one of September's shoes). The following chapter progresses with the Green Wind reciting the "Do's" and "Don't"'s of Fairyland.

Again, just paraphrasing, but yeah - this novel is pretty trippy! Valente's novel is easily compared to the works of Lewis Carroll, in that "did I eat some psychedelic mushrooms before my read'n time?" way. For me, this novel was very slow going in the beginning. It took me several weeks, in fact, to get through the first few chapters because it was really that odd and thick with weirdness. Once September and A-Through-L officially get into Fairyland I was hooked (yeah, that's the "dragon's" name.... but that's not a dragon, he's a Wyvern. Yep! Learn something new every time I picked up this book!)

This novel is... something else! I can hardly wait to keep progressing into Fairyland with the next book in the series. I'm also curious about Catherynne Valente's other works. 4/5 Stars.

1 comment:

  1. I need to read this, I love everything from the description to the title to the cover!

    ReplyDelete