Wednesday, January 2, 2013

I Am the Messenger

I was really looking forward to this book, since adoring The Book Thief. I had to re-visit Markus Zusak, as soon as humanly possible. Unfortunately, my go-around with I Am The Messenger wasn't the same experience. Treading on my last library renewal, it took me a while to really get into the novel (however, this book has one of the best opening scenes, no doubt about it!)

The plot and premise behind the book are great. Basically it's a "dude's" sorta version of the film Amélie, only not as do-goodery. (This may be stretching it a bit on some of the people/addresses on Ed's list.) Basically, Ed is running around his city trying to "deliver messages" which change people's lives. The novel is described as "... a cryptic journey filled with laughter, fists, and love." Not just some fists, lots of fists! This guy takes so many beatings, I found it distracting. Speaking of which, I still don't understand what he was supposed to accomplish with the Rose boys. 3/5 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment