Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Let's just hope it doesn't come to this


So we meet the Orwellian-like novel The Handmaid's Tale.  I'm creeped out and frightful of what could come of us (women). It probably doesn't help that I picked this novel up just after the elections. I'd probably swear off men if I'd started reading Atwood's novel while Romney and Ryan were on the podium! 

The Handmaid's Tale is most certainly an important read for women's literature. What fascinates me is that this is a novel from the 80's. Aside from the notion of women running around in red habits, nothing about this novel really struck me as dated. It's that timelessness that make it an Atwood (winky-face).

I couldn't justify giving this a 5 because the epilogue threw me. I appreciate the hand-held understanding of the "study" of this society, but it also felt like an "Idiot's Guide to the book you just finished." I felt the novel should have ended, where it ended; no explanation necessary. The sudden shift in the tone was too... sterile? Academic? Something... Whatever it was, it disappointed me. All I could think was "alright... the book ends like this?" (4/5 stars).

No comments:

Post a Comment