Thursday, January 10, 2013

"DO NOT STEAL QUEENS"


I was blessed to read Catherynne M. Valente's The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making quite recently. If that title doesn't grab you, shake you up a bit, and make you crave a little more information, you have limited imagination. Now onward and outward to the next book of the series: The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There.

Again, another 4-star rating, which is nothing against Valente's super-magical, quirky writing. Same compliments as with the previous novel: slow start for me - I'm new to fantasy, so I'm not used to all the ... "stimuli". The story builds and builds, making the novel so enticing. Again, "trippy" but incredibly fun; essentially a modern Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. The text is so bright and colorful (despite being in the underworld/shadow world,) which is unexpected. One thinks "oh, shadows = dark and grayscale". Nope.

I look forward to the next novel in the series - Actually, I can hardly wait to hear the next title! Before I toddle off too far into "withdrawals", I'm starting in on more of Cat's work. Next in line is Deathless.

No comments:

Post a Comment