Sunday, September 23, 2012

Life Before Man


*Chuckles* My original (accidental) post title was called "Life Before Mad". Doesn't make much sense even regarding this book... There was very little emotion held to me. There were a few things I just couldn't get over, which is why I ultimately gave this book a two:


  1. I'm puzzled by the need for Parts... 5 of them? There wasn't really any change in theme or anything.
  2. So this was the thought of a "Modern Marriage" from the mid-late 1970's? Blug! Just an open relationship in which we (the reader) grow to (kinda) sympathize with the Home-Wrecker.
  3. Speaking of the Home-Wrecker, non of the character were very likable. (I even grew to dislike Lesje... the least bitter character.) Or I just learned to hate or become board with the lot of them.
  4. Character Chris (he off'ed himself BEFORE the start of the book,) is mentioned a lot, but at the same time is underdeveloped and comes off as less than a ghost.
  5. A whole-lot of nothing occurs.
But you know, Atwood's writing IS good. It just wasn't enough to pull me through this novel any quicker. The ending was "meh," and I just struggled throughout to commit to the story. So I was bored and cared very little for this (what I guess you'd consider) love triangle. 2/5 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment