Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Novel of False Advertising...

Why is this novel called Water for Elephants? #1 Emphasis on the plural: there's only ONE elephant... #2 The story isn't really about Her. #3 Said elephant seems to enjoy OTHER beverages as opposed to water! If I were to re-title this novel, it would be The Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show On Earth just to get a chuckle from the reader. Elephants? You teased me!

I had gone back and forth about reading this novel for some time. I'm sensitive about animal cruelty and was afraid I couldn't stomach it. I felt Gruen tastefully handled bits of that, but it is heartbreaking nonetheless. I caved and went for this story just because it was available at the library AND in audio book format, which I was in need of at the time. 

Not to come off as a last resort grab, this story is most certainly entertaining. But I probably wouldn't have picked this book up without the allure of the elephant(s). Yeah, seriously! The story is essentially backstage pass to the world's shittiesttraveling circus! Well written, but I could have done without the bits of Jacob in his 90's. There's a great story without; mid-way through, those portions just felt like filler. 3/5 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment