Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Who DOESN'T want to read about a cyborg Cinderella?

That alone enticed me: cyborg Cinderella story. Cinder's cover art is pretty awesome too... don't need to explain passing by this cover everywhere I went, made it tough to NOT pick it up and peek into the summary flaps. The story is cute and familiar which I like, but it is just that - cute and familiar (predictable).

Other than the time period and the fact that "Cinderella" is a cyborg instead of a peasant, this novel is very similar to the movie Ever After. Instead of "Oh God, I hope the prince never finds out I'm not from a well-to-do family," Cinder's issue is "Oh God, I hope he doesn't realize I'm not human!" Cinder is a tomboy-esque, teenage mechanic who gets along with one of her step-sisters whereas Danielle is a tomboy-esque servant whom eventually gets along with one of her step sisters. Both characters make a scene at the ball.... you get the picture. The story does lead you out with a cliffhanger which is definitely changing things up a bit. In fact, I wish I didn't have to wait until next year for the next book!

I most certainly enjoyed Cinder and I'll be up for the read when the rest of Meyer's Lunar Chronicles hits the book stores. Sorry to down rate the book or make it seem like I hated it - it's adorable and charming and hey... CINDERELLA. I'm a sucker for the Cinderella story, and it's rare to find a NEW one. This one is a refreshing remodel, so I highly recommend it to other fairy tale lovers. As "Cinderellery" as this story is, there are 3 more novels lined up for this series (plus the prequel, which I still need to read,) so I see a lot of room for growing the story beyond just Cinderella. I can't wait to see where the story is going, but 3/5 stars for now.

2 comments:

  1. I just read it too! It was pretty predictable, and I feel like I wanted more from such a great premise. There is a prequel? Whoa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! It's call "Glitches" - a 19 page Internet freebee. I'll have to check it out.

      Delete