Thursday, March 29, 2012

And now I want to go to the circus

Erin Morgenstern made a tough book to rate. I finally decided upon a 4-star rating just based on how I felt walking away from the story. Even listening on audio... that's a LOT of detail. My if I couldn't just sit there and resurrect the circus from hand! 

This novel will translate very well into film, as a matter of fact, everylast detail should be designed precisely from the shape of the wine glasses to the weaving of the fabric on any given character's costume. DETAIL! The color pallet was very interesting though: black, white and gray, but through the richness of the detail and layers upon LAYERS of texture, I get a sense of a full spectrum of color. 

I was hesitant about reading The Night Circusjust based upon previous reviews and that seeing it on every shelf at the bookstore, it looked a cookie cutter story. Shear curiosity and the fact that it was available at my public library made me pick it up anyway! I'm glad I did. It IS a LOT of detail. Parts may be dry/overwritten/redundant, but I did like the plot and I did find myself connecting to the characters, contrary to what others have said. 

Audio version criticism specific: I highly recommend the audio version if your as skeptical as I was. Jim Dale makes the story come to life and dance around your bedroom while you macramé a rug or drive into work... or whatever it is that you'll be doing whilst digesting the story. 4/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment