Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Help

This is a tough film to review. I haven't (yet) read the novel, though a copy of The Help (the novel) is currently circulating around our office. Based on book-to-film transitioned movies, my senses tell me the novel will be a lot more graphic and difficult (as in overwhelming) to read. All my co-workers keep telling me it's a great read, but then again, most of these people were really attracted to the Twilight series, so it's hard for me to trust their judgement.

I'm rating this as a 4/5 stars because I enjoyed the film: outcome, flow and drama vs. comedy ratio, but I don't desire to see it again, because I feel the "enlightenment" has come and gone, and is perhaps over done. The film is great, so it comes highly recommended. I feel that since I have seen the movie, I'm less apt to read the novel just because the message is pretty loud and clear: We are all of the same being, and treat every person the same way you want to be treated. We're all HUMAN and we're in this together.

I wouldn't mind seeing this film again, but the theme is universal so I have no desire to re-watch this film again. Otherwise, this movie deserves a 5/5 star rating based on acting, costume and plot interest. I'm rating 4/5 just because there are hundreds of other films out there just like it... It's just not sparking excitement in me... it's missing something.

No comments:

Post a Comment