Monday, February 20, 2012

A Curious Something

I actually picked up The Curious Incident in the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon a couple weeks ago and quickly finished it. I highly recommend this novel if you need help relating to someone with autism. What I found so curious was that the voice was that of a teenager, but Christopher is so emotionally skewed, he reads as an incredibly smart 8-10 year old! I have to admit I don't know a whole lot about autism, but I couldn't help but sympathize; the story is very touching.

I think some readers may find the writing frustrating. I can't think of anyone who's going to want to be trapped in the mind of a child with behavioral issues, but it's cool to see how he follows logic. There are some issues addressed which have some obvious consequences to the reader, but it's really about watching how Christopher's mind works to come to these conclusions himself. Also, it's easy to ignore the prime-numbered chapters! Just go ahead and read it - it's a quickie and it's colorful. 4/5 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment