Monday, February 25, 2013

Establishing my "Minor"


Today I am announcing my first "Minor" in the fifty-fifty challenge: for books, I will be minoring in Catherynne M. Valente. This would be book #2 of her selected works for this year (the first being The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There.) After completing Deathless, I wanted to immediately move onto A Dirge for Prester John collection, but accidentally requested book #2... and now we wait to clear the queue again.

Anyhow, Deathless (and the Fairyland series) have me incredibly fascinated with Velente's writing. Her style is so captivating. The only "flaw" I find is that I have to slow down to absorb the words. Every other sentence is so thought provoking. She's most certainly opened my eyes to a new genre that I've often avoided in the past - fantasy. Though I'm not sure if "Fantasy" is a properly fitted genre, either. (I'm going to say folklore-ish.) The novel here about Koschei the Deathless and Marya Morevna, is certainly out of my norm of "novel reads". A very different style of fantasy that I imagined. Like The Lion Witch and Wardrobe is slapped with communist politics. 4/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment