Friday, January 20, 2012

Everything is Illuminated

Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer is one of the best books I've read... you know since the end of last year. Hope I'm not peeking in pleasurable reads already! Thank God for recommendations, eh?

The second I clapped the covers together all I could think was, "I've gotta see the movie!" It's been on my recommend Netflix list for quite some time. I was convinced that I would have to read the book first, because that's just the way I roll. I'd love to read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close real soon but since the film just popped out into theaters, I figure it'll be a while before I can get my hands on a copy from the library.

I have to admit, I mocked this book before reading it - based on looks alone. The text point is just below my comfortable read size. The scale of the font size may have been an illusion, since I was overwhelmed with text ALL OVER the pages. It's as though someone sat down and thought "how can I get this book under 300 pages?" I know it's petty and not really anything to seriously pick at, but it left a negative first impression on me. Seriously hesitant not to read the book. And then the snow storm came.... I started reading this book by candlelight (which I will not recommend). And then I slowly read through the broken English.... I restarted last week and fell in love with the book. Despite all that: 5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment